Developing Future Leaders Through MentoringFebruary 14, 2018
Providing a mentor to high potential employees can be one of the greatest resources available to them. Studies have shown that not only does having a mentor increase the expected tenure of your leaders, but it also promotes greater company loyalty. So, you are able to improve your succession pipeline and are create exceptional leaders that will be more likely to stay with your organization.
We know there are a lot of options available for you to develop your leaders, but we have found that mentoring is the most effective for the participants and your organization.
Why is mentoring effective for leadership development?
- Mentees gets real experience from leaders.
- The company culture is reinforced.
- The mentees professional network is expanded.
- More cost-effective for development.
There are significant differences between this type of mentoring program and others, like a career development mentoring program. When launching a leadership development mentoring program, we suggest the following steps for success…
Steps to Launch Leadership Development Mentoring
- Ensure the stakeholders understand the objectives of the program and how mentoring can be used for development.
- Target hi-potential individuals in your organization to decide who will be a part of the program.
- Qualify your mentors.
- Create a communications plan to market your program
- Creating a matching application form that allows matching to occur between your participants based on leadership development competencies.
- Provide training for mentors and mentees.
- Automate with an online portal.
- Implement a plan for measuring the success of your program.
If you are interested in implementing a mentoring program for your organization, please contact us today.
- Mentoring Millennial Leaders
- Creating a Mentoring Program for Leadership Development
- 5 Ways Mentoring can Benefit Women in Leadership