How Technology is Changing Mentoring in the WorkplaceAugust 12, 2016
Advances in technology now allow mentoring programs to flourish more than ever before. With technology we have broken down the barriers of communication, reduced the workload, and even allowed a mentors to connect with a mentees from across the world.
What key technological advantages does mentoring software support?
The key takeaway here is convenience. Technology takes the “leg work” out of mentoring so your program attendees can focus on the goal at hand. [Click to Tweet.]
Location- With mentoring technology, a mentee and a mentee no longer have to work under the same roof. If a company launches a global mentoring program, the mentee could possibly choose a mentor in different continents, as long as the time difference isn’t an issue. This means a mentee could larger pool of mentors to choose from that better aligns with their career objectives.
Staying Connected- The mentoring technology often allows mentee and mentor to keep in communication by the most efficient means. The two can send each other messages, and plan times to meet through the portal.
Reporting and Training- The technology allows mentees and mentors to access documents needed throughout the relationship with the click of a button, through the cloud. Reports are also able to be generated from all participants which helps the organization gauge the success of the match and the overall program. This also allows the program administrator to make sure the two are the effective match for each other, and that goals are being reached.
When is an organization in need of technology for their mentoring program?
There are some instances where an organization should be using technology for their mentoring program. These are examples of the areas that mentoring technology assists with.
- The size of the organization - When you start a mentoring program, one of the big factors is the number of employees you are considering for the program. We recommend that if your program has over 75 participants (mentors, mentees and administrators) then you should heavily consider using technology to help your program succeed.
- Time the administrator is taking - One way technology aids a company is it cuts down on time and labor used when the administrator is running reports on the program. The administrator has a lot of duties, and the mentoring technology helps take some of the time spent on labor, and focus it somewhere more efficient.
- Needing to measure the success of the program - Often times the organization will want to see how the program is working out when it comes to the ROI. Our Mentoring technology allows surveys to be sent to everyone involved. This helps to track and measure the success and efficacy of the program, as opposed to the administrator sending out surveys by hand. Again, technology is used to decrease to the workload for maximum efficiency.
- Location (multiple offices) - This situation is very beneficial because you may have a mentee enrolled in your program based in your head office. For example, what if your headquarters is based in L.A, but you have an office in New York? Further assume a mentee in L.A. has been matched based on criteria and skills and objectives to the mentor in New York. Our mentoring programs allows them to seamlessly carry out their relationship in technological harmony.
Using technology with mentoring is always a good idea, especially if there is a need to improve what your existing program. [Click To Tweet] From ease and convenience, the myriad of uses will make the transition to using technology smooth and efficient.
- Advice from Our Experts: The Benefits of Using Technology for Your Career Development Program
- Mentoring Software Can Increase Mentor Matching Success
- Benefits of Mentoring Software
- You now need mentoring software: how do you create a business case?