How to Obtain Executive Buy-In for Your Mentoring ProgramMay 02, 2018
The first step to success for any mentoring program is positioning it as a vital component of organizational growth. Many proponents of mentoring struggle during this early step: company leaders are often skeptical about the need for a mentoring program and how exactly it will benefit the organization.
Buy-in for your mentoring program is more important than you think, but many people wonder why you even need it…
- Obtaining mentoring resources
No matter how few mentoring resources you have, you’ll still need sign-off and approval for their allocation. Whether that means administrators, training, technology, or something else, you’ll need buy-in for your mentoring program
You’ll need executive backing to fund the program in its entirety. Oftentimes, the stakeholders who wish to launch a program don’t realize what a well-tailored program will cost.
- Executive Advocates
When executives buy-in to the program they can become advocates. This increases the likelihood that individuals will willingly participate as mentors/mentees and truly commit to the program.
So how do you get executive buy-in for your program? Build your business case!
The creation of a clear and logical business case for mentoring will drastically reduce early obstacles to the program.
- Position your mentoring program as a business strategy and back it up and you’ll have a much greater chance of winning funding and resources than if you present it from literally any other angle.
- Don’t just think about the individuals benefitting from the program, this is about the benefit of the organization too.
- Developing your strategy around the objectives keeps the bottom line in focus
- You must be able to explain how you plan to measure and report on your success to your stakeholders
- These elements include – role profiles, skill/competency assessments, and mentoring training to your program’s scale and scalability.
If you are interested in implementing a mentoring program for your organization, contact us today.