19 Mentoring AdvantagesJuly 14, 2016
Having the guidance, encouragement, and support of a trusted and experienced mentor can provide a mentee with a broad range of personal and professional benefits, which ultimately lead to improved performance in the workplace. The advantages of mentoring extend to all involved in the program, including the host organization.
Here are 19 advantages of corporate mentoring that benefit all stakeholders.
Advantages for Mentees
1. Develops a skill or competency.
2. Improves the mentee’s confidence in their ability to execute the task at hand.
3. Helps the mentee improve their communication skills.
4. Gives the mentee practice in accepting feedback from a consistent source.
5. Teaches the mentee how to maintain a professional relationship.
6. Expands the mentee’s network of contacts.
7. Provides a crash course on the current company culture.
Advantages for Mentors
8. Strengthens the mentor’s active listening skills.
9. Provides a conduit for the mentor to give back to the organization.
10. Knowledge share by the mentor is encouraged, which increases the mentor's sense of self-worth.
11. A sense of fulfillment through teaching is established. – Establishes a sense of fulfillment through teaching.
12. Helps enhance the mentor’s own relationship-building skills.
13. Provides an added sense of purpose and responsibility for one’s career.
Advantages for the Organization
14. Helps achieve their talent development goals such as succession planning and ensuring solid leadership development.
15. Informs everyone throughout the company that leadership is willing to invest in its employees.
16. Improves talent acquisition efforts. New hires are aware of organization's career development opportunities.
17. Fosters employee retention, which can lead to a reduction in turnover rates.
18. Leads to reduced training costs by way of one-on-one interaction.
19. Harnesses the power of natural leadership.
But keep in mind that it’s not only about the advantages, but also how they are achieved. By implementing mentoring software, achieving these advantages becomes more streamlined and reporting the successes for all parties involved becomes possible.
A tailored mentoring program will transform your business in a plethora of efficient ways. Starting a mentoring program is easier than ever, visit Insala today to talk to one of our staff members and schedule a demo today.