Coaching Firms Can Retain Clients with Career Coaching Services We have been cautioned by the head of the International Monetary ...Read more
Providing Career Transition Services to Your Alumni Network
One of the richest resources in the hunt for a new job is often corporate alumni.
And a robust career transition services strategy leverages its corporate alumni network to provide a wealth of new opportunities – and support – to job seekers.
In the last month, businesses have been forced to lay off significant amounts of their workforce in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This has brought alumni engagement and career transition services to the forefront of business strategic priority. With nearly half (49%) of all businesses reportedly considering layoffs to navigate the coronavirus crisis, it’s likely more businesses will be facing these hard decisions soon.
And regardless of whether an employee exit is voluntary or involuntary, your business should have an exit strategy to maintain a powerful alumni network.
Why Career Transition is Important for Alumni
Organizations should intentionally support career transition for all alumni, not just a select few. Career transition is important for several reasons, including:
- Job transitions are increasingly common. The median employee tenure was 4.2 in 2018, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
- Ex-employees can be your biggest brand advocates. Putting as much thought into an employee’s exit as you do their onboarding leaves a lasting impression about the brand. When done well, this can mean former employees remain fans for life, continue to use the company’s products and services, and recommend them to others. On the flip side, Glassdoor estimates between one-third and one half of its reviews come from former employees – and those evaluations tend to be more negative.
Benefits of Providing Career Transitions for Alumni
Your business and your employees will benefit from a career transition strategy. Some key benefits include:
- Boosts employee morale. When employees observe the care and consideration given to exiting employees, they recognize the high value the organization places on its people.
- Eases stress and emotions. Employees who have unexpectedly lost their position feel supported. On the other hand, managers can also find their stress reduced knowing, especially in layoffs, they can offer their former employees some additional support.
- Speeds up the job search. A thoughtful strategy enables former employees to find work more quickly.
- Maintains the company reputation. As we mentioned earlier, the way your business treats employees when you part ways will greatly influence how they view, and speak about you. Microsoft Alumni Network executive Ali Spain confirms: “We know from experience that employees who feel appreciated as they exit are more likely to be fans of the brand, use the company’s products and services and recommend them to others, and perhaps return someday,” Spain told the Society for Human Resources.
- Decreases the risk of lawsuit claims.
How to Provide Transition Solutions for Alumni
If your organization is experiencing an increase in turnover or navigating layoffs, using an alumni software can enable your company to equip exiting employees with vital tools and resources for a career transition.
When establishing a transition solution, organizations should address three critical areas in a transition: networking, job opportunities, and knowledge sharing.
- Networking: Connect past employees directly with a digital alumni directory. This allows employees to:
- Directly message other alumni and build their network
- Participate in forums
- Find and attend alumni events
- Job Opportunities: Customize corporate alumni’s job search by providing job opportunities connected to the network. Within the solution, alumni should also be able to:
- Build a resume crafted for each position
- Track opportunities and stay organized
- Knowledge Sharing: Not only can an alumni network provide a rich set of job opportunities; it can also provide a great deal of insight for job seekers. The focus on these groups may include:
- Industry thought leadership
- Career path advice
- Job hunting tips or insights
- Career coaching
When your business implements Insala’s transition solutions, you can feel confident you’re supporting exiting employees in their next career move and helping them to create a lasting relationship with your business. We’re ready to help your business navigate these tumultuous times and develop a strong employee transition solution. This isn’t the first challenging time we’ve faced in our more than 30 years of experience, and we understand your needs.
Please contact us to request a demo and see for yourself how Insala can help you develop a career transition solution that builds better relationships with your organization’s alumni.
Corporate Alumni Network: The Perfect Home For Your Career Transition OfferDownload the eBook
How Recruitment Firms Retain Clients During a Recession In just a few weeks, the U.S. economy has undergoneRead more
Providing Career Transition Services to Your Alumni Network One of the richest resources in the hunt for a new job ...Read more
Subscribe to Our Blog
Explore our Career Development Resources